Scriptures

"And this is not all. Do ye not suppose that I know of these things for myself? Behold, I testify unto you that I do know that these things I have spoken are true. And how do ye suppose that I know of their surety? 46. Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God... 48. I say unto you, that whatsoever I shall say unto you, concerning that which is to come, is true; and I say unto you, that I know that Jesus Christ shall come, yea, the Son, the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace, and mercy, and truth. And behold, it is he that cometh to take away the sins of the world, yea, the sins of every man who steadfastly believeth on his name. 49. And now I say unto you that this is the order after which I am called, yea, to preach unto my beloved brethren."
-Alma 5:45-46,48-49
"Come unto Christ and be perfected in him and deny yourselves of all ungodliness."
-Moroni 10:32

My Address: (I LOVE MAIL!)
Sister Zhenya Plumb
California Arcadia Mission
614 W. Foothill Blvd.
Arcadia, CA 91006-2030

Monday, March 7, 2016

My Week of Being Trilingual!

Good morning everyone!                            3/7/16

I just had the most fantastic week!!

I taught my first English class this week, and gave my first lesson in
Spanish this week! Sister Vaea and I try to hold a weekly English
class for Either Hispanic or Chinese people to learn English. So far
it has just been their recent converts Jackie and her husband Roberto.
They are so funny! I don't know English that well and Sister Vaea has
only been learning English for 7 months but I became the designated
teacher. It went really well and they went away with phrases to use in
their work!

So the first lesson I taught in Spanish this week is actually an
interesting story. We ran into this guy named Francisco who was
raking leaves, and we asked if he needed help and started having a
conversation with him. Then Oscar, his friend who was mowing the lawn
came by. So I started talking with Oscar and Sister Vaea was talking
to Fransisco. Turns out that Oscar knew no English at all. So I was
able to say some of what I know in Spanish and tell him about an
English class that we have and then showed him a video about Jesus
Christ in Spanish (thank goodness for technology!). He loved it and
kept saying "Amen!" throughout the whole video. It was awesome that we
were able to teach two lessons right then and there at the same time!

We taught the Liu family! The Liu’s are in a word, AMAZING. Shawn and
Ping are the parents and they have a son, David. They live on the same
street as the church and they said that they wanted to know more about
Christian faiths. So we invited them to church and they came and
really enjoyed it! Also we gave David a Book of Mormon stories to read
and he is already reading about Alma the younger! They are all so
smart. Shawn and Ping are studying to become doctors. If you couldn't
have guessed they are from China and they have been in America for a
year and a half. Ping’s English is very good and David's is very good
as well, but Shawn has trouble pronouncing words. So we also had an
English class with them, and were able to follow up on their reading.
We committed them to read the Book of Mormon out loud as a family, and
if they did so, they wouldn't have a problem with the language.

I think it's amazing that even though we may not be able to speak the
same language as those we are around we are all able to feel of God’s
love and the spirit which testify a of truth.

Thank you all for your emails and letters of support! It is exhausting
to be a missionary but that's how we know it's been a good week, when
we have worked our hardest and given all we could and continue to do
so. I love being a missionary and I love being a member of this
church. Sharing what I know with others has brought on added
confidence and assurance to what I know to be true. I challenge you
all to share a principle of the gospel with someone you know or don't
know this week and see how it changes your week.

Love y'all :)

Sister Plumb

No comments:

Post a Comment